We have prepared another Original Prusa XL Update for you and this time it’s a video. I sat down in our studio to talk about the current state of the XL, the results from beta testing, but also about hardware changes and the shipping schedule.
One of the most important parts of the video is the last bit where I talk about the shipping. I think it makes sense to write it down here, too, to explain how the current preorders will be switched to regular orders.
If you have preordered (reserved) the XL, we will send you an email when your reservation is ready to be turned into the final order. At this point, you will be able to edit the shipping address, add more items to your order and select the shipping method. You can’t increase the number of XLs, but you can decrease it if you want. One important thing to keep in mind: There is no deadline for converting your reservation (preorder) into an order right now. What’s decisive is the date of the reservation, not the payment. So as soon as you pay for the order, you will jump into the right place in the queue.
If you want to upgrade your reservation for a single tool XL into one with multiple toolheads, please DO NOT finish your preorder until we start shipping the multi-tool XLs.
Once we start shipping multi-tool printers, you will be able to adjust the configuration of the XL: the number of toolheads, whether you want it semi-assembled or fully assembled etc. In other words: if you preordered the single tool version and you want the multi tool XL, wait a little bit, don’t finish the order and keep it in preorder status – when we will start sending multi-tool, you can change the printer configuration, edit the address, add items to your order and pay the order.
63 Replies to “XL Video Update: beta test news, hardware changes and shipping schedule”
I like to know the foot print to understand how large table I need? I.e. not the total width and depth, just the measure of the frame/feet.
check the faq in the dev diary, there are dimensions/foot print drawings
Yes, but it also states the dimensions could change so it would be good to know the final dimensions (however I do not think it’s any major changes).
I’m also quite curious since I”m about to build a workbench around these dimensions.
I guess that this will help you 😉
Yeahh really nice!!
Looking forward to the mail. As you said testing of multiple tools will take 2 months. Will these ship around 25th of March then?
And also; is there any indication of the cost of the tools if you add them later?
What if you have a 5-head version on order now, but want to have it asap so you want to change it to a single head version? Will everyone receive the order finalisation email at the same time, or will the 1-head preorders be receiving an email first to finalise their order?
I preordered a 5-head unit and would also prefer to downgrade to a single-head unit, if it meant that I get the XL 2 months earlier, then I can upgrade to more heads later. Although if it is only like a month longer for a multi-head I would choose to just wait.
1. Are you saying that you expect the multi-head units to ship 2 months later than the single-head units?
2. Is that possible to downgrade a multi-head unit to a single one?
2. How long will the multi-head upgrades take to come out?
One thing to note is they are always doing iterations. So it might be within those 1-2 months they revise something surrounding the multi-headed vs single-head modes or the Slicer may iterate in that timeframe as well.
Just saying that the patience may be worthwhile unless you have money to be made getting it 2 months sooner.
1. Thanks for the transparency, understood about the delays, though I’m still sad to wait longer.
2. So ~April 1st for a multi tool heads? Hope it’s not a joke!
3. Yes to 0.6mm nozzle default! If MK3S has 0.25/0.4/0.6, I hope to see XL with 0.4/0.6/0.8 profiles.
4. Yes to the nozzle adapter and compatibility with all existing v6’s. I built my supply up for MK3S after you guys made profiles and an article about the benefits of different nozzle sizes for different applications. One of the reasons I’m buying an XL and not a Bambi X1C is exactly this kind of consideration of customer needs over time.
5. Yes to ongoing improvements.
6. Is shipping really going to be $260 to California? ☹️
What is the timeline for the availability of the upgrade path from 1 to 2-5 tool heads?
I am sure there are many of us that would take a single-tool machine in March if it meant we could get the additional tool heads to upgrade by the time the 2-5 tool machines are shipping as well.
Can we have a better process to convert from 1 to multi tool orders? I think trying to watch for them to start shipping isn’t the best experience. Why not just give us an option at checkout to go multi tool and put us into the future multi tool queue?
Inalso find this a great Idea. Im Happy to pay 2 months in Forward, to let Prusa know what i want( and that i want IT). Also for you IT should be rasiert because you can simply Beginn with my Order when you are ready.
This is so exciting!
What is the timeline for semi assembled XL’s. Will they also launch in March? I am wondering because it says explicit fully assembled XL’s.
Is it possible to get a second email if we have pre-ordered a single tool XL but want to upgrade once multi-tool XLs are shipping? Just an informational email for everyone that’s eligible to place their order.
Is there going to be any kind of input shaping, as well as auto linear advance calibration like we are seeing from competitors?
It’s cool Jo. Can I just have a MK4 to make the delay hurt a little less? LOL
I agree with all the questions around additional (beyond extreme) shipping delays for those of us who pre-ordered the multi-head XL’s, particularly the semi-assembled units. I’ll gladly pay the multi-tool price now for the single-tool sooner and the upgrade later. However, the suggested shipping costs are crazy enough for a single shipment; will that be added to both shipments? I’d even hold my breath another month if a mass shipment was first delivered to domestic distributors, thus minimizing personal shipment costs (most offer it for free). I’m not sure how much longer I can fight off “Bambi” X1C. Even if I hold out for the XL, this is the first and last pre-order I’ll ever make.
This was my question .. any possiblity of shipping to the US in bulk (mayby to your US distributor Printed Solid)?
That would be an interesting end customer focus (finding ways to reduce shipping cost) while also Prusa strengthen and enable Prusa’s partner channel (PrinterSolid in this case) to growth a relationship with other Prusa owners
Is the accordion apron enclosure that was previously shown going to be a standard feature? It will be very disappointing to spend $2,500 on a new printer if it still cannot print ASA without warping of if we have to spend more on an accessory enclosure after the fact.
Will the XL be any faster than the MK3 using the same size nozzle & layer height? And can the multi-extruder version have different nozzle sizes on each extruder?
Looking forward to my multi head (5). As you have mentioned in the past, accessories when ordering. Any word on what they will be? Full enclosures, partial enclosures, mood lighting. Any word would be nice.
When will the instructions for assem`
When will the instructions for assembly of the XL be available? It would be useful to get an idea of the complexity of the assembly of the machine to decide whether to tackle it myself or stay with the fully assembled option.
I always forget that I preordered this and then get really excited when I see a new post. Thank you for the update!
Is it possible to upgrade the single head machine to a multitool later? Comments here suggests that it is possible, but that is not an official statement and I hate to assume.
I know the description of the XL indicates that it is easily expandable to multi tool. This video put some doubts about that. Logic: if the upgrade is so easy, why not ship the single toolhead version first and then send the multi-tool expansion later? or at least provide that option if people are willing to pay shipment twice.
Also very good Idea. Also would bei ready to pay 2times shipping, to have First the single head printer, and then the parts of the the full 5head machine.
I am also concerned about purchasing a single extruder XL now and then not being able to easily expand that unit due to any issues you may discover prior to releasing the multi extruder option. I do appreciate Prusa’s honesty in the video about delays and value their dedication to quality.
Does anyone know what size aluminum extrusions are used on the frame of the printer?
I think i saw in some CAD Files that they are 30*30
It would be great with a multi head machine to be able to use cheap PLA for most (90-95%) of a given support and then switch to a small number of separating layers of the more expensive water-soluble support material between the PLA support and the model to keep the costs of support low but to have a super clean model separation with no support marks or residue. Is this something that has been considered and could be an option configurable in the slicer?
Also, curious if you have had any success with soluble supports for PETG or other model materials in the XL multi-head tests?
The burning question: Will it fit on a Lack table?
Honestly that question made my day 😅👌
Why can’t we see the printer in action? This ist not something that makes me confident in spending such money. And why are you not talking about “the elephant in the room” print speeds, specially since the Bambu… I understand that there is still work in progress but even basic questions about input shaping remain unanswered.
I hope there is a feature update before I need to pay the cash. Otherwise we are all buying a big blackbox. =(
They showed IT very often printing. I saw IT myself on the Formnext a few weeks ago.
the bambu lab 1xc is very tempting because the fast printing, closed frame and the value much less, can anyone enlighten me why should i stick to prusa XL? what are the differences?
Thanks for Update. Regarding V6 / V4 nozzle. Will it be possible to use for example Head 1 black V6 Head 2 black V4 for detail Head 3 v6 soluable material Head4 V4 flex material head 5 v6 nylon (mix of different size of nozzle and different materials with different heating of nozzle?
Your last update you said you would provide an update during the Holiday season. I get the supply problems that is out of your control but not providing frequent updates even by your proposed schedule is all on you!!! I wouldn’t care if you left an update with little to no new news but if you can’t stick to an update schedule that you create it leaves us with little confidence. I appreciate you making sure everything is perfect and you send out quality machines to help maintain the Prusa reputation, please do the same with providing information. I ordered mine early on day 1 with 5 tool heads but now it seems like that may not matter and those that ordered a single tool head after me will get theirs in advance. I am still very confused as to when I can expect mine. Also someone mentioned a great thought in this post- releasing assembly instructions so we know the complexity of the build.
Another question I haven’t seen answered:
Is the upgrade from 1 head to 2 or 5 heads only involves adding components or also replacing existing components (other than printable plastics).
And from that question to the real one:
What would be the upgrade price from 1 to 2 heads or 1 to 5 heads?
Would it cost more than just buying 5 heads ?
(Ignoring double shipping costs, just the product cost).
I am glad to see this brilliant post. all the details are very helpful and good for us, keep up to good work.I found some useful information in your blog, it was awesome to read, thanks for sharing this great content to my vision, keep sharing.
Buy Microsoft Office 2021 for mac
Please explain in more detail what you mean by this, starting at 3:43 in the video:
“you don’t always have to use the expensive BVOH for water-soluble supports. Instead, you can combine PLA and PETG like in this case, because you don’t have to dry it out, it’s cheap and everyone has it at home”.
1. I thought it is difficult to combine PLA and PETG because the nozzle and bed temperatures are very different. Please explain.
2. I don’t understand not having to “dry it out”. Does that refer to drying the model after dissolving BVOH supports with water?
3. To what does “it’s cheap and everyone has it at home” refer?
1) For example Prusament PLA prints at 215°C and PETG at 225°C, not so big difference. Or you can print both at 220°C..
2) You don’t have to dry the filament before use. PLA and PETG are not so prone to absorb moisture. On the other hand BVOH must be kept dry.
3) Refers probably to both PLA and PETG, depends which one is meant to be used for supports, but both are cheap compared to BVOH.
Instead of printing supports with expensive water-soluble filament, you could print supports in PLA which is cheaper and everyone owns. PET-G is not a good material for supports. So, if you are printing in PET-G and need supports, you can print them in PLA.
Thanks for the preparation for the Prusa XL update. Hope you will make more videos about it. I also want to share more with you, duck life is a game about cute ducks, be a good trainer in this game.
I am overjoyed to have discovered your website, monkey mart, and I would like to express my gratitude for it. and I am looking forward to a lot of further enjoyable times spent reading on this site. A sincere thank you for providing all of the information.
What is the max temperature of nozzle?
Can print PEEK?
Like others, I would like to know more about the Nextruder and how suited the Prusa XL is/will be for printing high-temp materials.
firstly thanks i have found this
However, the suggested shipping costs are crazy enough for a single shipment; will that be added to both shipments? cokernutxapp I’d even hold my breath another month if a mass shipment was first delivered to domestic distributors.
An idea for water solutable supports. Make it an option in the slicer that the support is sliced in a way that only the last few millimeter/layer are water solutable filament and the rest is some other material. the water solutable is so expensive and its a pity to waste so much of it for huge chunks of support
I believe this is already unavailable feature in prusa slicer. You are allowed to change the support interface material to a different filament.
Unfortunately I am no longer in a position to use the printer. How can I get my deposit back?
This video expresses exactly how I feel https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=wPesdhaTG14 . One month, at most, before the first units are meant to ship, and I only have the vaguest idea about what I’m actually buying. Prusa is taking its customers for granted, showing us complete contempt, and has completely lost its way. Unless there’s a big reveal soon, about a truly awesome product, then I’m afraid I’m done with Prusa.
I agree, this is/would have been my first Prusa, but if no full details of spec, performance and what accessories/enclosure will be on offer and news that emails have started to be sent out come this next week I’m done with it.
Agree, feel the same. We havent seen the printer in action since it was presented at tech-fairs. If first machines are out now.. why dont we see reviews by Joel, Muse, Sanladerer and the other channels? The only logical reasons is that its far from ready or that it does not hold up to its promisies.. why else wait? Were are you Prusa? We love you but patienceis running thin.
Has anyone been requested to finalize their order and gotten a preliminary delivery time?
Not I, but hay ho pigs might fly.
Well folks, not sure if its worth answering the “Let us know what you have to say:” questions. I too am concerned with the total lack of communication from Prusa on the XL when it comes to answering questions here. I pre-ordered a kit (semi-assembled) the very first day 18 Nov 2021 and paid the deposit. I understand some of issues with the delays, but Prusa has dragged this on way too long. I seen the question above about the shipping in March for “fully assembled” units vs the kit version. I had to start a Chat to find out that they are sending out only fully assembled orders. There is no date for those that pre-ordered the kits. It should not make a difference what form you ordered. Prusa should honour the pre-orders in the order they were received. It has got to be quicker to send out a kit, then take the time to fully assemble one then ship. The only reason I can see them doing it this way is to get more money in their hands faster. Shame.
I hope Prusa provides a machine(s) to some of the popular reviewers. If they dont have more than one machine to provide, maybe Prusa could do a lottery to determine which reviewer gets a machine. Maybe the same machine could be passed around with Prusa providing the shipping/crate. There must be a solution for Prusa to allow objective reviews, at least I would think so.
So, there is no additional information on the order page for my XL. I pre-ordered the day I received the email it was open for pre-orders. Can remember what year that was, but it was a long time ago. Can you tell us anything more than the same teasing announcements that have been going on for YEARS now?
All is great, but come on…tell the truth about when this thing is going to be shipped!
Can’t wait for the e-mail that will tell my order is ready to being processed. Like many (many) others trying to be patiently waiting.. but it’s hard. Human nature dictates that i (we) are not very patient. Hopefully i don’t have to wait untill the end of the year (even this can be possible) so.. fingers crossed.